Monday 8 December 2008

The Bones of It

I still need to put a lot of detail out, about these various "layers of method" and how each one works in its original context.

But there's also the question of what is at the core of this - what is the central insight, or something like that? The trouble is, over the months I have kept coming at this from different angles, but each time finding myself writing a different account altogether.

By calling the blog "Configuring Grace in the Now" I think I am nailing down a useful pivot point for starting to think about this. I'm hinting at the need to find a more graceful way of being. ("Graceful" in this context includes the ability to fall flat on one's face, if one falls at the right moment. It counts as "graceful" if it contributes to the forward movement of the entire situation, which of course depends as much on how people respond, as on the manner of my actual falling.)

This state (or this movement) of grace has to have several dimensions to it, according to my best understanding. It is simultaneously a way to be in the material world (which means perhaps doing real things, or at least expressing real things "out in the open"), but also to be with each other in such a way that our individual doing also feeds the collective creation in the moment. And thirdly, and at the same time, to have a compassionate and graceful being-with-myself. I see this as 3 simultaneous aspects of the one world I seek to inhabit with others.

So if a clear-cut way of working emerges from this research situation, it will be unique in its commitment to address simultaneously our being in the world, our being with each other, and our being with ourselves. That might seem like an impossible degree of multi-tasking, but I think if we have a shared commitment in that broad direction, and the willingness to proceed somewhat by trial and error, we become active real-time resources for each other, so that we spontaneously find ourselves helping each other towards the desired state of being / interacting.

I am trusting that those various background methods (the process work, the clowning, the willingness to improvise and take risks together etc etc) all help to push in this same direction - and I think they really can do this. Please come and help me find out if this is true.

No comments: